- Type: City in Decline (Third Age)
- Inhabitants: 90% Gondorian,10% Mixed Mannish .
- Population: TA 3019 ~2,500; (TA 1149 ~100,000)
- Origin: Founded by Elendil in SA 3320
- Purpose: The former capital of Gondor; a center for learning and art; the major port for Anduin traffic.
- Symbol: The White Tree surrounded by Seven Stars
Osgiliath has been plagued by disaster. Castamir's supporters burned the city during the Kin-strife, and repairs never restored its original beauty. Then the city was devastated by the Plague, losing half of it's citizens in a few short months. The King moved his seat to Minas Anor, leaving only a desperate few to live among the crumbling buildings. A small but able detachment of soldiers guard the decrepit bridge across the Anduin. Despite it's strategic importance as a river-crossing, the King is almost helpless to prevent the decline of what was once the most beautiful city of Gondor into a pathetic ruin and a den of brigands.