- Type: Fortified City
- Inhabitants: 90% Gondorian,10% Mixed Mannish (later: 80% Orcish 20% mixed mannish)
- Population: 30,000
- Origin: Founded by Isildur in S.A. 3320,rebuilt in T.A. 1
- Purpose: Control of the passes into Mordor; garrison for Gondor's army in Ithilien; location of a Palantir; mercantile center; home to a community of scholars and artists; the administrative center of Ithilien
- Symbol: The White Tree surmounted by a Crescent Moon (later: the dead-moon of Morgûl)
Minas Ithil was a Gondorian city protected by a deep valley in the Ephel Dúath. It was the largest urban center east of the Anduin. The city suffered the effects of isolation from the rest of Gondor following the Great Plague, although it was far from extinct, due to it's thriving wool trade. The City of the Moon was better known, however, as the intellectual and spiritual center of Gondor. Many artists, scholars, and spiritual folk sought the tolerant streets of Minas Ithil to pursue their occupations. Despite the gradual decay of some of the older buildings, Minas Ithil housed some of the most dramatic architecture in Gondor. The more practical citizens of Minas Anor and Pelargir viewed Minas Ithil as a place of folly, but the City of the Moon remained a jewel among cities.
- Fanmodules:MORDOR GAZETTEER